New Year, new you… right? As 2019 quickly approaches, let us help you prepare for all those New Year Resolutions. Paring down and de-cluttering not only makes room for all those new presents, it also helps you decide what is the most important in your life.
Decluttering Your Closet Step by Step:
- Take everything out of the closet to assess the true situation.
- Start by putting away your most treasured items.
- Next, do not put back items that no longer fit or that you rarely wear.
- Make a bag labeled “The Loft” to consign. You might as well get paid for this project!
- While your putting things away, try putting them in upside down or backwards on the hangers. This will be totally annoying for awhile but once you reach the 6 month mark, go back in and remove the clothing items that have not been turned around or flipped right side up. This shows you what items you can completely live without.
- You did such a good job its time for the big pay off. Go get a staple clothing item that is versatile, fits well, and fits cozy in all the new space you just created.
- Make a list of your plans for the next 5-10 years. If something in your home doesn’t help you accomplish your goals or fit into your plans then it must go!
- Use old shoe boxes or pick up some storage containers to organize drawers.
- Keep a basket by the stairs or entry to easily transition things up stairs, out of the car, and get them where they need to go in your home.
- Invest in some cheap photo boxes to label and store your favorite items.
- Take it one room at a time. No need to get overwhelmed and give up. Designate a deep clean/organize session for one room per week until you get all the way through your home.
How to keep your Car Organized:
- Keep a plastic bag in the door of your car and when things get messy, you have access to an instant trash bag.
- Car wipes kept handy in the center console ensure a quick and easy wipe down fits into your schedule.
- There are a myriad of organizational products that hang on the back of your seat for kid storage.
- When you wait to fill up for gas, make this the time you habitually throw out trash and give the windshield a good wipe.
Declutter your Schedule:
Perhaps the most important and by far the hardest to do, take a good look at what you fill your time with.
- Take inventory of your current schedule.
- Consider if you are getting a decent amount of sleep and self care.
- If the answer is no, look at your priorities and goals, which items are not helping you get there.
- Just say no to things that don’t fit the above goals.
- Challenge yourself by asking – is this the right season for this activity. If the answer is no, let it go!